Is D appropriate for creating a stable production app?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Nov 9 23:16:13 PST 2006

I think you'll find the language itself is a joy to work with compared
to C++.  Where it suffers is

1) IDE/Debugger support - not many options there yet.  writefln is
pretty much your best bet.

2) Documentation - there's a spec, which is what I refer to most, but it
often leaves details out, and is not really organized in such a way that
things are easy to find.  Good thing is the newsgroup is pretty
responsive and helpful anytime there's something you can't find in the docs.

3) Libraries.  There's a surprising amount of D code out there, but
still it pales in comparison to an established decades-old language like C.

If you can live with the above 3, then D should be able to get the job
done, and will be much more fun than using C++. :-)

One thing I'm curious about -- has anyone out there used D extensively
for a 24/7 server type app?  I mean the kind of thing that would expose
slow leaks in the GC and other robustness problems like that.

--bb