Is D appropriate for creating a stable production app?

mmcdermo morganmcdermott at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 11:26:32 PST 2006

Burton,
 Thank you very much for your detailed and useful reply. Your past situation with
Python and C seems very similar to ours, and it sounds like we'd be wise to do a
good load of experimenting and reconsider the _primary_ language we're coding in.
Your notes on D's productivity are especially tantalizing... If we can achieve
results anywhere near that of coding in Python, then one of the primary chains
holding PHP securely in its position of primary-programming-language might just
snap in two.

  Facing the remaining issues that challenge the pragmatism of using D primarily
will require more research and testing on our part, but I would be much obliged if
you would help me understand one of the issues you touched on:
  You wrote, "Everything you want to do with scripting can be done with D aside
from making it safe..."
  Would you please explain what issues you are referring to here? Are these the
standard problems that face other similar languages (buffer overflows etc), or are
you talking about D-specific vulnerabilities?

Thank you again for your assistance, Burton, and many times over for the
enlightening viewpoint you shared with me.