DMD: Unexpected Directory Structure

Wayne wanderon at comcast.net
Fri Nov 10 18:06:24 PST 2006

Hello,

I've been following the D forum and announcements for a few months
now with great interest and finally decided to jump in.
I decided to start with the DMD package for Win32
(later I'll try GDC on my Mac).  I unzipped the files
as instructed, but I got a directory structure that was unexpected;
both by me and apparently by some of the files in the package itself.
As per the instructions my root directory had the dm and dmd
directories, but the dmd directory has an extra dm and dmd directory
within it.  On attempting to run the "all.sh" script I got a path
error.  I edited the script, changing "DMD=\dmd\bin\dmd"
to "DMD=\dmd\dmd\bin\dmd".  After this change the first example
compiled but I got another path error on linking.  After scratching
my head a bit and looking at some documentation, I discovered that the
link path is defined in the sc.ini file. I added an extra parent
directory bump to the path for the linker and most everything
seems to work.

While all this poking around was highly instructional, one
normally does not expect this kind of "exercise for the reader"
when starting out.  Did I miss a step in the installation?
What's going on here?

Thanks,

Wayne