DMD: Unexpected Directory Structure

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 20:30:36 PST 2006

Wayne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been following the D forum and announcements for a few months
> now with great interest and finally decided to jump in.
> I decided to start with the DMD package for Win32
> (later I'll try GDC on my Mac).  I unzipped the files
> as instructed, but I got a directory structure that was unexpected;
> both by me and apparently by some of the files in the package itself.
> As per the instructions my root directory had the dm and dmd
> directories, but the dmd directory has an extra dm and dmd directory
> within it.  On attempting to run the "all.sh" script I got a path
> error.  I edited the script, changing "DMD=\dmd\bin\dmd"
> to "DMD=\dmd\dmd\bin\dmd".  After this change the first example
> compiled but I got another path error on linking.  After scratching
> my head a bit and looking at some documentation, I discovered that the
> link path is defined in the sc.ini file. I added an extra parent
> directory bump to the path for the linker and most everything
> seems to work.
>

> While all this poking around was highly instructional, one
> normally does not expect this kind of "exercise for the reader"
> when starting out.  Did I miss a step in the installation?
> What's going on here?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Wayne

> Wayne Anderson

In short, I don't know what's going wrong.  In... er, long: I don't think your download or
installation went quite right, as there should not be an addition dm|dmd subtree like
that.  I recommend whiping your installation, re-downloading, and trying again.  Its no
wonder the scripts were confused... I would be too!  (And apparently, so were you.  We are
crazy around here... but not (usually) quite that crazy.)

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls