auto storage class - infer or RAII?

Chris Miller chris at dprogramming.com
Sat Nov 11 11:22:19 PST 2006

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 13:48:00 -0500, Walter Bright
<newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> The auto storage class currently is a little fuzzy in meaning, it can
> mean "infer the type" and/or "destruct at end of scope". The latter only
> has meaning for class objects, so let's look at the syntax. There are 4
> cases:

Choosing from your list I guess "auto" for auto destruction and "infer"
for auto type deduction.

However, I tend to prefer "scope" (without parentheses following) for auto
destruction, which frees up "auto" for auto type deduction:

    scope Object o = new Object(); // Destructed at end of scope.
    scope auto q = new Foo(); // Auto type deduction and end-of-scope
destruction.