auto storage class - infer or RAII?

Carlos Santander csantander619 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 07:12:59 PST 2006

Walter Bright escribió:

> My problem with "var" is the history of the keyword. Back in the olden
> days, there were two main camps of programmers - the Pascal people, and
> the C people. Each camp looked with disdain upon the other as "not
> getting it". The Pascal crowd progressed to Modula 2, Object Pascal, and
> eventually Delphi. The C family progressed to C++, Java, and D. There
> didn't seem to be much voluntary mixing up, people would switch camps
> only under duress.
>
> So I have a real (possibly outdated) concern that "var" appearing in D
> will make the language distasteful to the C crowd. The appearance of a
> language matters a lot, it's like the clothes one wears that identifies
> one (consciously or not) as being with a particular group.
>
> And that's why I've avoided using "var".
>
> ("let" is far worse, as it gives the impression that D is some sort of
> new Basic language.)

I don't think they're valid concerns (meaning they're subjective, not everyone
will have those ideas), but I think we (the D community) just want a way to
clearly differentiate both meanings of auto. So, choose any two words:
auto/scope, var/auto, def/scoped, foo/bar, and let's move on.

Also keep in mind that your option #5 (auto c = Class()) doesn't seem to be a
popular proposal (based on what has been said in the ng).

--
Carlos Santander Bernal