Mango, DSource, and CGIHTML

pragma ericanderton at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 12 20:14:02 PST 2006

Morgan McDermott wrote:
> I've been experimenting around with D for a couple of days now, and I'm
> really starting to like it. And, although the available code-base is not
> as plentiful as for other languages (C), porting code to D from C is
> feasible.
>  Right now I'm trying to get some basic features for a web-application
> designed in D. From the little I've read about the Mango project, it
> appears that people have already put a lot of time into generating
> useful code for D-web-applications, but sadly DSource.org seems to be down.
>   I was unable to locate any mirrors, so I looked about for other
> options and found the CGIHTML project for C. At this point I'm not sure
> whether I should port CGIHTML to D, or find a way to get mango.. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Links:
>     http://www.dsource.org/
>     http://www.eekim.com/software/cgihtml/

I see that another D'er in this group hooked you up with Mango.  So I'll
offer my $0.02 instead. :)

FWIW, I've done some research on the same front (DSP and DDL).  Another
fellow was working on a FastCGI implementation, and I vaguely recall
someone else asking about composing an Apache module, here on the DNG.
There may be other undisclosed solutions out there... who knows.

You're dead on about the D codebase though.  What is clear to me is that
the critical missing piece are some serious man-hours spent testing the
various D libraries out there for their usefulness in making web
applications.  This goes well beyond Phobos and Mango and touches on
things like smart string handling, i18n, XML, XSLT, JSON, WDDX, SOAP and
so forth.  It's like this massive bowl of alphabet soup that's just
waiting for someone to dive in.

So regardless of how you, or any of us proceed, having a solution now is
key so that the community can take a crack at getting a D web toolkit
put together.  CGIHTML seems as good a solution as any to get us there,
so I say it's quite feasible.  Go for it.