Mango, DSource, and CGIHTML

Morgan McDermott morganmcdermott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 16:45:59 PST 2006

pragma wrote:
> Morgan McDermott wrote:
>> I've been experimenting around with D for a couple of days now, and
>> I'm really starting to like it. And, although the available code-base
>> is not as plentiful as for other languages (C), porting code to D from
>> C is feasible.
>>  Right now I'm trying to get some basic features for a web-application
>> designed in D. From the little I've read about the Mango project, it
>> appears that people have already put a lot of time into generating
>> useful code for D-web-applications, but sadly DSource.org seems to be
>> down.
>>   I was unable to locate any mirrors, so I looked about for other
>> options and found the CGIHTML project for C. At this point I'm not
>> sure whether I should port CGIHTML to D, or find a way to get mango..
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Links:
>>     http://www.dsource.org/
>>     http://www.eekim.com/software/cgihtml/
>
> I see that another D'er in this group hooked you up with Mango.  So I'll
> offer my $0.02 instead. :)
>
> FWIW, I've done some research on the same front (DSP and DDL).  Another
> fellow was working on a FastCGI implementation, and I vaguely recall
> someone else asking about composing an Apache module, here on the DNG.
> There may be other undisclosed solutions out there... who knows.
>
> You're dead on about the D codebase though.  What is clear to me is that
> the critical missing piece are some serious man-hours spent testing the
> various D libraries out there for their usefulness in making web
> applications.  This goes well beyond Phobos and Mango and touches on
> things like smart string handling, i18n, XML, XSLT, JSON, WDDX, SOAP and
> so forth.  It's like this massive bowl of alphabet soup that's just
> waiting for someone to dive in.
>
> So regardless of how you, or any of us proceed, having a solution now is
> key so that the community can take a crack at getting a D web toolkit
> put together.  CGIHTML seems as good a solution as any to get us there,
> so I say it's quite feasible.  Go for it.

  Hmm.. The CGIHTML port would be a quick-and-easy solution for me right
now, so I may go in that direction, but I've been considering writing an
Apache module for a while. I have the one book I can find on the subject
  (O'Reilly's Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C), and I might turn
to that solution simply because I was planning to use Apache for this
project anyway, and Apache has neat features to hook into [ storing
state information in web-server memory, etc].