Last DMD made me truly breathless -- for the wrong reasons

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 15 14:25:01 PST 2006

While DSSS is a great product in the vein of cpan and its ilk and I don't
want to diminish it's value, but for most unix flavors, there's native
packaging mechanisms that are preferred by the masses.

Explicitly stated:
  for freebsd, ports is king
      debian, .deb's and the various front ends is where it's at
      redhat, .rpm and yum
      windows, uh... installshield?  I dunno.. not my playground
      etc...

My primary experience is with debian.  There there's wrappers around cpan
to facilitate creation of .deb from a cpan package should it not happen to
be already officially packaged up (an extreme rarity).  As a maintainer of
more systems than I care to, I value the uniformity that using a single
package management system brings.

So.. what would really go a long way, would be a way to easily create
native package for various platforms and a repository to be populated.
What would then work well would be for there to be a single 'starter'
package for D development:  probably a dmd/gdc installer + a hook to
register the native repository with the native install system (for debian
this would be adding a line to the /etc/apt/sources.list file).

DSSS could then mutate to a system for building and producing the
artifacts to go into the repository, maybe.

Anyway.. food for thought.

Later,
Brad