Last DMD made me truly breathless -- for the wrong reasons

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Nov 15 14:50:44 PST 2006

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Producing native packages from DSSS builds is already on "the list."
>
> And DSSS provides a large number of advantages that aren't in native
> packages, simply because DSSS is tailored towards D.
>
> I completely understand that issues with pervasiveness of different
> installation systems and platforms, it's the core of my current job, and
> I designed DSSS with the forethought that it would at least as often be
> used simply to force fairly consistent installs for packaging systems as
> it would be for its net feature.  I've been trying to stress that the
> net feature is /not/ its primary feature, but certain parties who shall
> remain nameless have pressured me into bringing that future to the
> forefront.

For what it's worth, Windows doesn't really have a package management
feature like most other operating systems, so an automated version
tracking/download system there would be a great asset, even if the final
step was just to launch an installer app.  As for installers,
Installshield is a fairly expensive piece of software, but there is a
lightweight installer generator available from Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/vsi11/default.aspx

I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on its quality, but you can't
beat free.

Sean