What's left for 1.0?

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Thu Nov 16 08:15:17 PST 2006

This is not a 1.0 blocker, but it is a blocker my development.  D doesn't
have a good solution for cross-platform dynamic libraries.  Full dynamic
class loading would be nice, but D should at the very least do what C++ does
and support overridding virtual method across DLL boundaries.

I have a C++ code base that I want to port to D, but it uses an
cross-platform plugin system that I can not replicate with D in its current
state.  I don't think this kind of functionality will get into 1.0, and
that's OK, just as long as it does with the next year or so.

Other than that, I can see no shortcoming in D that would hinder
development.  I'm really very anxious to port my code, but I don't want to
start until D is ready.  On the positive side of things, I forsee gobs and
gobs of C++ template code shrinking down to nothing, and a fifteen minute
compile time reduced to less than a minute.

-Craig