D Shared Software System name change vote

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 00:03:26 PST 2006

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Some people have voiced dislike of my choice of the name 'dsss' for
> DSSS' binary, because it's difficult to type repeatedly.
>
> I'm taking suggestions/votes for a new name, before DSSS is old enough
> that it's beaten into anyone's heads.  This name only covers the binary,
> the actual system is still going to be the D Shared Software System.
>
>  - Gregor Richards

Personally, I don't mind the name as it is.  Plus, I like it when a suite's binary has the
same name as the suite itself.  But: how feasible might it be to design DSSS's binary such
that the actual name of it doesn't matter?  Maybe that would be better for some.  Or not,
I really don't know.

Since this is supposed to be suggestions, how about:

dmand -- as in the 'ondmand' suggestion already made, but a bit shorter
dmerge -- as in 'emerge' on Gentoo... ;)  Probably /too/ similar for safety, though
dport -- as in 'portage' ... but that's not exactly right
desire -- *shrug*
dsc -- D.S.SS C.lient?  (Reminds me of a time when 'Mango' was 'D Server Classes'.)
dvn -- as in D-VersioN, parody of SubVersioN
dsoft -- *shrug*

And finally.........

dsource -- like the web site ;)

I guess my "top three" would be 'dsss' as it stands, 'dmand' and 'desire'.

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls