Overriding mixed-in virtual functions

Max Samuha maxter at i.com.ua
Fri Nov 17 03:23:20 PST 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:31:16 -0700, Hasan Aljudy
<hasan.aljudy at gmail.com> wrote:

>It would be nice if there was a "namespace" keyword.
>
>class Code : Base
>{
>     namespace A
>     {
>          override void bar() {...} //Yatta!
>     }
>}
>
>and, a mixin name
>
>     mixin TFoo A;
>
>can be just a short cut for:
>
>     namespace A
>     {
>         mixin TFoo;
>     }

Or reuse 'with' keyword for mixin instances rather than mix in
templates into a namespace? A new keyword is not likely to creep into
the language before 1.0.  And 'with' is already used in a similar way
for template instances

template TFoo()
{
	void bar()
	{

void main()
{
	alias TFoo!() Foo;

	Foo.bar();
	// or
	with(Foo)
	{
		bar();

And for mixins it could be

class Base
{
	mixin TFoo A;
	mixin TFoo B;
}

class Code : Base
{
	override void A.bar()
	{
	}
	// or
	with(A)
	{
		override void bar();

BTW, i (and hopefully other people programming in D) would really like
the following to be defined in the specs before 1.0:

1. Which mixin implements the interface method?

interface IFoo
{
	void foo();
}

template TBar
{
	void foo()
	{
		writefln("In foo");

class Code : IFoo
{
	mixin TBar A;
	mixin TBar B;
	// Is IFoo.foo implemented by A.foo or B.foo?
}

2. The order of mixed-in overrides is important.

This compiles:
class Base
{
	void bar()
	{

class Code : Base
{
	void bar() // Fast enough to override the base bar
	{
		writefln("Base bar");
	}

	mixin TFoo A;
	mixin TFoo B; // A.bar and B.bar live happily together
}

This doesn't:

class Code : Base
{
	mixin TFoo A;
	mixin TFoo B; // No way: A.bar has already overriden the base
bar

	void bar()
	{
		writefln("Base bar");

There mignt be more related issues I can't think of.