What's left for 1.0? - string class

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 04:01:19 PST 2006

Aarti_pl wrote:
> I can not believe no one is using utf-8 characters in his program and is
> not concerned about issues with current D char[] implementation, so I
> repost my previous post. Sorry about reposting - if no one will comment
> I will get a lesson and thing that maybe this issue is not so much
> important.
>
> But preferably I will get some even negative comments about importance
> of having string class built in...
>
> For me string class is something what could significantly improve
> quality of libraries for D.

 From previous discussions it seemed to me like there was a fair amount
of support for a string class.   I think the lack of response could be
just that not so many folks feel like it is a "must-have" for 1.0.

I think anything that can be done in a library can wait till post 1.0.
C++ had very little in the way of a standard library at "1.0" (and
really it still has very little).  But for 1.0, the language itself
better be in a state that it is *possible* to write every library on the
wish list.  If there is anything in the language itself that would
prevent creating a string class like the one you speak of, then I think
that needs to be addressed.  But the string class itself can come later.

Of course if dstring really is good enough as-is, then it might as well
be in the std library for 1.0.

--bb