What's left for 1.0? - string class

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Nov 17 06:19:59 PST 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:

>> For me string class is something what could significantly improve
>> quality of libraries for D.
>
>  From previous discussions it seemed to me like there was a fair amount
> of support for a string class.   I think the lack of response could be
> just that not so many folks feel like it is a "must-have" for 1.0.

Since D is a hybrid language, it needs string types AND a String class.

And since Phobos isn't a pure OOP library, the lack of a pure OOP string
class isn't all that surprising. Especially after bashing std::string...

But it would be nice to have one "official" String class, instead of
everyone inventing their own which seems to be inevitable otherwise ?

--anders