What's left for 1.0?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 12:38:22 PST 2006

BCS wrote:
> However, I don't known how to put in a BOM.

You can use Notepad to do it.  Yes, the crappy old Notepad that comes
with Windows.  When you go File -> Save As, make sure to set the
encoding as appropriate.

I'm still very annoyed that Notepad has better Unicode support than GVim
>_<.

<2¢>

Also, I think this whole discussion is highlighting a misunderstanding
on how strings work in D.  Some people seem to be looking at D's string
support and thinking "Oh, it looks just like a scripting language, so
<X> should work the same; what the?!  It doesn't?!  Must be broken!"
They don't seem to understand *why* we have char, wchar and dchar.  I
think it's time we had an article either in a D manual (do we even,
strictly speaking, HAVE a manual for D?[1]) or somewhere on the website
so we can say:

  "No, it's not broken; it's just different.  Go here and all shall
become clear."

</2¢>

	-- Daniel

--
Unlike Knuth, I have neither proven or tried the above; it may not even
make sense.