D Shared Software System name change vote

clayasaurus clayasaurus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 15:08:50 PST 2006

clayasaurus wrote:
> Pragma wrote:
>> Gregor Richards wrote:
>>> OK, I've collected some I like and would be willing to change to,
>>> please vote in this thread. Choices:
>>>
>>> * dsss [eg don't change it]
>>> * ondmand
>>> * dmand
>>> * dsire or desire
>>> * dserve
>>> * svd
>>> * d3s or ds3 [I don't like this one at all, I feel it's even more
>>> difficult to type than dsss, but I'll put it in for good measure ...
>>> sorry Pragma :)]
>>
>> That's not a problem at all. I firmly believe in airing *all* the
>> possible suggestions, even if they're not always stellar.  That's
>> because "good" is highly subjective when it comes to things like this.
>>
>> Edison: "Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent
>> perspiration."
>>
>> Which follows up to a corollary that is often attributed to him: "I
>> have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
>>
>> You'll find the right name for this thing.  The question is: will you
>> have to sit down with the 'D' section of the encyclopedia to do it? ;)
>>

>> PS,
>> Not to thread-jack, but I found this blurb on Wikipedia, that sounded
>> eerily like another stereotype that we're all too familiar with around
>> here:
>>
>> The day after Edison died the New York Times contained extensive
>> coverage of Edison's life, with the only negative opinion coming from
>> Tesla who was quoted as saying, "He had no hobby, cared for no sort of
>> amusement of any kind and lived in utter disregard of the most
>> elementary rules of hygiene"
>>

> Tesla and Edison didn't like each other due to the AC vs. DC power war.
> Tesla was pretty awesome, though, just look at his lab.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
> http://www.leyada.jlm.k12.il/proj/edsntsla/hist3.htm

PS:

"Later that year the US Supreme Court upheld Tesla's patent number
645,576 in effect recognizing him as the inventor of radio."

"Immediately after Tesla's death became known, the Federal Bureau of
Investigation instructed the Office of Alien Property to take possession
of his papers and property, despite his US citizenship."

"Tesla had been continuing work on the teleforce weapon, or death ray,
that he had unsuccessfully marketed to the US War Department. It appears
that his proposed death ray was related to his research into ball
lightning and plasma and was composed of a particle beam weapon. The US
government did not find a prototype of the device in the safe. After the
FBI was contacted by the War Department, his papers were declared to be
top secret."

I mean, wow! :)

~ Clay