Segregating the standard library

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Nov 17 17:32:22 PST 2006

Chris Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:47:19 -0500, Daniel Keep
> <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> * We need to make a clear distinction between the absolute bare-minimum
>> for the compiler and produced programs to function (let's call that the
>> core lib) and everything else (the standard lib.)
>>
>>   The core lib would probably contain things like intrinsics, and
>> anything else necessary (I think that also includes Object
>
> Agreed.

What should the overall goal be?  A tight unified hierarchical set of
packages like those found in Java/C#.NET?  Or a more loose and ragtag
library collection with a flat namespace, more like Python/Perl?

While I think the former would be great to have, I think the latter is
more realistic.  Java and C# have nice libraries, but I think that kind
of global consistency and hierarchical organization is not so feasible
with the open source model.  The "loose collection of useful things"
model seem to work better in the open source world.  Much of what's in
the standard libraries of Python and Perl were once separate libraries
written by 3rd parties.  They just got to be good enough and popular
enough that they were folded into the standard distributions.

--bb