Text in D article

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 06:52:52 PST 2006

Daniel Keep wrote:
> Here's a draft of an article which, hopefully, will explain some of the
> details of how text in D works.  Any constructive criticism is welcomed,
> along with edits or corrections.
>
> Also, any suggestions on where to put this?  Ideally it could go on the
> D website, but I think anywhere would be fine so long as we can point
> people to it.
>
> 	-- Daniel

Cool information! I only recently became aware of how unicode works
because of this newsgroup. The current solution in D looks fine to me,
it's just that people are not aware of it and the documentation doesn't
help much in increasing unicode awareness. I would vote for this
information being incorporated right into the relevant sections of the
official documentation.

Probably the best advice I read here was that if you want your text to
just work, you either use dchar or do all string handling with
std.string. It's very simple, don't go messing with char[] without the
help of phobos unless you know what you're doing. Perhaps you could put
something like that in the beginning of your document.

D does have something similar to a string class in the form of
std.string imo, the only thing is that's it's procedural instead of
object-based. I don't see a problem with that.