How do I advance an array ?

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 12:43:07 PST 2006

Tal wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to D, my origin is C++.
>
> I want to search for a value in an ini file. I search for the right section,
> e.g. "[D]", and then I want to find the variable, like "variable=", and then
> change it's value.
>
> This is how I try to do it:
>
> char[] bfr;
> bfr = cast(char[]) read (ini_path);
> int i = find (bfr,"[D]");
> i = find (bfr+i, "Compilator File=");
>
> Since bfr is "char[]" and i is "int" it's erroneous. However none of my trials
> to bypass this type-problem were successful.
>
> How do I do it ?
>
> Thanx in advance,
> Tal

"Pointer magic" does not apply to D arrays, as they are not just flat pointers, but a
structure of a pointer and length.  Assuming your INI requires entities be on a line
alone, you could break the string into lines first.  Or, you could use a slice.  Example:

# char[] bfr ;
# bfr = cast(char[]) read(ini_path);
# int i = find(bfr, "[D]");
# i = find(bfr[i .. $], "Compilator File=");

That said, it might actually be easier to go with lines, or just parse out the entire
file, manipulate, and dump back to disc.

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls