Text in D article (4th revision)

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 01:17:14 PST 2006

Hasan Aljudy wrote:

> Daniel Keep wrote:
>>> Ok, here's the third revision.  Includes some clearer examples, a Q&A
>>> section, and is now written in plain text, and then dumped out to HTML.
>>>  If anyone complains about what file format it's in now, they can get
>>> stuffed :P  (And *yes*, the HTML is generated directly from the .txt
>>> file.)
>>>
>>> Again, all feedback and suggestions is welcome.
>>>
>>>     -- Daniel
>>
>> I finally managed to find a copy of the C99 standard, and I've filled in
>> what characters you can use... although it's still a bit tricky to
>> understand.  That said, I added an example which shows using function
>> names written entirely in hiragana, so it obviously works :P
>
> konnichiwa!!!!!!11one :D

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be konnichiha: people keep
spelling and saying it "konnichiwa" because westerners misheard what the
Japanese were saying :3

(Do correct me I'm wrong, btw...)

>> Secondly, I've removed the references to std.utf.stride.  After going
>> over the docs again, and actually *testing* the code, it turns out I was
>> dead wrong on what stride does: it returns the length of the code point
>> sequence at the given location, not the number of code points from that
>> location.  Whoopsie.
>>
>> I've replaced the code showing how to use std.utf.stride with a small
>> function that correctly computes the number of code points in a string.
>>
>>     -- Daniel
>>

> Nice job on the article.
> Why don't you place it on the dsource tutorials section? It's a wiki
> system, so you can update it more easily.

Honestly, I'd love to see this on the official D website; from the
number of people coming to the forums saying "why doesn't this work?"
and "strings are teh borken!" it's obvious we need to have something
that says "this is how things work and why they work the way they do."

But if Walter doesn't want it, then I'm happy to stick it up on the
Wiki... yet another format I'll have to change it over to :P

	-- Daniel

--
Unlike Knuth, I have neither proven or tried the above; it may not even
make sense.