Text in D article (4th revision) [OT] ha vs wa

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 12:29:27 PST 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:
>
>> Daniel Keep wrote:

>>> Actually, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be konnichiha: people keep
>>> spelling and saying it "konnichiwa" because westerners misheard what the
>>> Japanese were saying :3
>>>
>>> (Do correct me I'm wrong, btw...)
>>

>> Unless my Japanese mentor was playing a prank on me (which is
>> /entirely/ possible) its actually a quirk thing.  While it is written
>> "kon'ityi-ha" it is indeed pronouned "kon'nityi-wa", as the 'ha' kana
>> is written for the particle 'wa' for some long-forgotten reason.
>

> yep.
>
> (Kind of like the
>
>> archaic 'wo' kana is still used for the 'o' prefix, as in "(w)o-genki
>> desu-ka".)
>

> Now you're just making stuff up.  :-) 'wo' is used as a particle
> indicating the object of a transitive verb.  Like "hon wo yomu" (read a
> book)
>    本を読む
> Nothing to do with with the polite 'o' prefix in, o-genki desu ka:
>    御元気ですか
> (Though you're more likely to see it written with the hiragana 'o'
> instead: お元気ですか。)
>
> --bb

Could've sworn 'wo' was used to write 'o-' though... ah well.  Either that one /was/ a
prank, or its just because I haven't touched hardly any Japanese in a couple years or so.
  The shame.  :)  Guess I could've played it safe and dug out one of my dictionaries to
check.  But where's the fun in that?

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls