GVim and Unicode ( was Re: What's left for 1.0?)

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 17:04:25 PST 2006

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>

>> BCS wrote:
>>> However, I don't known how to put in a BOM.
>> You can use Notepad to do it.  Yes, the crappy old Notepad that comes
>> with Windows.  When you go File -> Save As, make sure to set the
>> encoding as appropriate.
>>
>> I'm still very annoyed that Notepad has better Unicode support than GVim
>
> How so? I've never had any problems getting GVim probably setup for Unicode.

It's basically a font problem.  GVim allows you to select exactly two
fonts: a "normal" monospace font, and a "wide" font (which is used for
things like kanji.)

The problem is that once you've picked those fonts, GVim will never use
anything else.  This is a pain because you end up with heaps of unknown
Unicode characters.  For example, none of the weird characters I used in
the examples for my article on text in D show up in GVim (except for the
hiragana since I have a Japanese font installed) but they all show up in
Notepad which falls over to other fonts if the one it's using doesn't
have that character.  There appear to be options for selecting a set of
fonts to use, but they don't work on Windows.

	-- Daniel

--
Unlike Knuth, I have neither proven or tried the above; it may not even
make sense.