What's left for 1.0?

Olli Aalto oaalto at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 02:54:05 PST 2006

Marcin Kuszczak wrote:
> But if Walter is not happy enough with this implementation now maybe there
> should be at least added alias in object.d:
> alias char[] string;

I'm not an expert on these things, but while reading Daniel Keep's
excellent article on text in D, I got an idea about the alias
declaration. Why not have something like this in either object.d or
std.string?

version(UTF8)
{
     alias char[] string;
}
version(UTF16)
{
     alias wchar[] string;
}
version(UTF32)
{
     alias dchar[] string;
}

It would default to UTF8, if not defined on command line. This way
everyone could use the version their application requires.

Am I way out of line here? As I said I'm not an expert and don't know if
that just creates more problems.

O.