OSNews thread here degenerates into GC vs not

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Mon Nov 20 15:54:18 PST 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:
> As just seen, much is discussed about the D GC.
>
> It seems to be like the rotary engine: anybody who looks at the
> blueprints says this simply can't work, and it still does. And pretty
> well too, in fact.

I always look at the schematic for a jet engine, and listen to the
explanations for how it works. I never bought the explanations, to me it
just looks like it isn't going to work. It looks like the flame will
blow forwards just as much as blow backwards, and there will be no net
thrust.

I finally took a course in college on jet engine cycle analysis, and
found out the reason the flame doesn't blow forward is the compressor
produces enough pressure to prevent it. That's why in order to start a
jet engine, you have to spool up the compressor first with some external
power source. A jet engine "compressor stall" happens when not enough
air is coming in the inlet to block the flame from coming forwards, and
the flame blows forward, stopping the engine.