OSNews thread here degenerates into GC vs not

Mike Capp mike.capp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 16:00:10 PST 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Who's had a GC problem /for real/?

Resharper refactoring plugin for Visual Studio; we use it heavily for our C#
development. It regularly freezes up for a minute or so at a time. That's the
dotNet runtime's GC, granted, but I have a hard time believing that D's would do
better.

This isn't as simple as a "GC vs not" debate; I don't think anyone (here, at
least) would argue that GC is worthless. Rather there are at least three open
questions:

1) When and where is GC appropriate?

2) When it is appropriate, how good is D's implementation of it?

3) When it's not appropriate, how well does D support GC-less (and possibly
allocation-less) programming?