OSNews thread here degenerates into GC vs not

Mike Parker aldacron71 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 19:07:46 PST 2006

Mike Capp wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>
>> That sounds like bad program design rather than
>> bad GC design.  Were the app written using
>> conventional allocation it would either be visibly
>> slow or leak like a sieve.
>
> Probably. And I suspect the codebase we use it on is larger than usual. But then,
> you could offer the same retort to any reported "for real" GC problem.

One thing I've learned during my years with Java is that most "GC
problems" are really programmer problems. Such issues can be avoided by
"coding to the GC." Unfortunately, this is something that too many
developers just don't get. Still there are problems that can't be worked
around in obvious ways in code. To eliminate those, Sun goes the extra
mile via Java's tools to analyze GC behavior and the command line
parameters to fine-tune it, even allowing you to select between several
different implementations. That will take care of all but the rare
border case.

I've not worked with C# more than in passing, so I don't know what sort
of tools or options are available to tune the GC. It would be great to
have such capabilities in D. I haven't used D extensively enough to know
what "coding to the GC" means for the current implementations, but
developers who do understand it should be able to avoid the lion's share
of issues.