OSNews article about C++09 degenerates into C++ vs. D discussion

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Wed Nov 22 05:45:18 PST 2006

Kyle Furlong wrote:
> I seriously think there is a sizable group of people who use C++ at
> their workplace, and for their hobbies, and maybe have written a
> convoluted something or other for Boost. These people have invested a
> huge ammount of time and effort to carve out something usable from the
> jungles that are the C++ lands.
>
> These people fight D because they see how it will simply negate that
> time investment by making it irrelevant.

How true. And because it's on an emotional level, most may not even be
aware of it, which makes it that much harder to handle, for us and for
themselves.

> Any reason they can grasp on to, they will. Any defect they can find,
> they'll point it out. Hopefully, over time, the smart ones will realize
> the dead end and move on to D.

Here, as in so many other situations, we have to come out as winners (or
at least not losers) from the arguments. These people will not be
converted, but gradually many in the audience will convert. That's
simply the dynamics of Public Debate, and it's been like that ever since
talking was invented in the first place.

So, fighting with diehards is something that simply belongs to the
current phase in D's history. And it's not about winning them over, it's
about the bystanders, the audience, the silent masses.