D vs. C#

Ary Manzana ary at esperanto.org.ar
Thu Nov 23 17:11:36 PST 2006

Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) escribió:
> Antonio,
> the points you listed are very good. Well "good" because I know nothing
> about C#, and this is also true for the things around C# and Dot NET.
> First time I hear about those "rules".
>
> What do you think if you put the focus on the languages itself? Ignoring
> existing libs, IDEs ...

I think this days a language isn't just "the language", i.e.: the
syntaxis and semantic.

Questions I want to ask to a language:
1. Does it have a great power of expresiveness?
2. Will I have to program all the *so common* classes like collections,
io, network, etc., or instead of focusing on my problem I'll have to
invent the wheel again?
3. Will I get my job done quickly?
4. Will my programs require some other annoying frameworks, virtual
machines and on on the target machine?
5. Will my programs be fast?

My answers would be:
1. Yes, and I think it beats C#, although reflection is widely used
nowadays, and D dosen't have this (I don't know if this is possible for
a compiled-to-native language).
2. Well, you'll surely find some good libraries out there. But
integration with other systems that use some other libraries will be
very painful. And choosing a library is also some time you'll loose. If
interfaces (like the ones in java.util) are defined in D, together with
a good core library, everything should be easier to do. But I think
interfaces are not that efficient in D... am I wrong? And yes, you'll
feel that poor performance in your 2Ghz double core processor.
3. Not as quick as programming in C# or Java, because you don't have
powerful IDEs, and point 2 is also a thing to consider.
4. No, and it's one of the things I like most of D: a great power of
expressiveness compiled to native binaries.
5. Yes, very fast, and that's another point for D.

But, as far as I know, speed is not (that much) a concern, and everybody
has a virtual machine, so...