OSNews article about C++09 degenerates into C++ vs. D discussion

Steve Horne stephenwantshornenospam100 at aol.com
Fri Nov 24 19:50:27 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:10:36 +0000 (UTC), Mike Capp
<mike.capp at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  > some of these people are literally annoyed at D and D
>>  > promoters
>
>Not all of those people are diehards, though. I like D, and I sometimes get
>annoyed by D promoters. There does seem to be an underlying attitude among some of
>the younger and more enthusiastic posters here that D is essentially perfect for
>everything, that anyone expressing reservations is automatically a closed-minded
>fogey, and that no amount of experience with other languages is relevant because D
>is a whole new paradigm.

It sounds like you have a lot of sympathy with this view...

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2000/12/advocacy.html

Me too, but it's not all one side. The anti-advocacy-resistance can
overreact as well by becoming defensive and adopting a
the-best-defence-is-a-strong-offense approach. And if they're
attacking, well, we need to defend ourselves - and again, the best
defence is a strong offense. And now they know that we're definitely
on the attack, so...

The problem is one of human nature, as opposed to the people on one
side or the other. Just be glad that bullets don't work over the
internet ;-)

--
Remove 'wants' and 'nospam' from e-mail.