Thesis on metaprogramming in D

Leandro Lucarella llucarella at integratech.com.ar
Mon Nov 27 10:23:33 PST 2006

Hello. My name is Leandro Lucarella, I'm finishing my grade on Computer
Engineering in the UBA (University of Buenos Aires, Argentina) and I'm
planning to do my thesis on meta-programming and I'd like to do it using
D (because is the language that is closer to my ideal language, if it
just had Python-like syntax... ;).

The center of my thesis would be adding meta-classes[1] to D, and maybe
some other meta-programming features D could lack of (maybe some kind of
access to the AST like XLR[2]).

I'd like to know if you think this is:
1) Doable.
2) Useful.
3) A feature that can be included in the official D specification.

In case it's not clear, I'd like to add support for meta-classes to the
D language itself, not provide some nasty library to ease the job using
the existing tools. If there is any D guru that is willing to help me
out and give me some guidance, that would be great too.

TIA

[1] Like Python meta-classes but, of course, resolved at compile time.
     http://www.python.org/doc/essays/metaclasses/
[2] Extensible Language and Runtime
     http://xlr.sourceforge.net/

--