D Learning Resources

Wolven ra at wolven.net
Wed Nov 29 19:46:26 PST 2006

Great suggestion Morgan!

As a "non-C" programmer I would LOVE to have some tutorials starting with the
BASICS (including the basic concepts) of D.  Then being able to progress to the
intermediate and advanced stages with explanations of the concepts and concrete
REAL WORLD example code would be nice.  ("Hello World" as a programming example is
unbelievably lame.  In fact, it's worse than lame, it's completely meaningless.)

As Morgan said, much of the information available seems to assume that the reader
is already familiar with C++ concepts AND IS a long time C\C++ programmer that can
readily recognize the shorthand C like syntax...  which I don't.  Obviously that
assumption perfectly fits many of the people posting on here, but it doesn't do
much for winning converts from other programming backgrounds.  Then again, maybe
the D developers aren't interested in attracting newbie or non C programmers.  But
I suspect it's more a matter of time and priorities.  That, and the simple fact
that most programmers are the worlds WORST teachers.  They simply don't know how
to communicate with\translate for mere mortals...   :)