D Learning Resources

Morgan McDermott morganmcdermott at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 10:00:32 PST 2006

  I'm always startled by the overwhelming response from the NewsGroup :).

Ary:
  I've now received multiple comments stating how the Python Docs are
fantastic, so I'm going to have to spend some time figuring out why and
how they're so wonderful. I'm not so big a fan of locking the contents
after everything is complete, however; versioning might be nice, but
hopefully this tutorial project will keep on growing at a steady rate,
covering the new, popular API's, and not just the core-features of D.
Maybe I'm missing something - are you suggesting that we lock it for
security purposes, or consistency, or... something else?

  Thanks for the link and idea.

Wolven:
  I have a few C books targeting new programmers, and it seems that a
lot of what is taught there would need to be taught in order to
understand D programming as well. I assume that a lot of thought and
effort went into the sequencing and overall structure of these books, so
they might provide a good starting point for the Basics arena (rewritten
and condensed, of course).

Tyler:
  Thank you for the information about the DSource.org Tutorials project.
Brad has suggested that this project be a reorganization of the existing
Tutorials project, and, if the current managers are interested, I'd be
excited to have such a nice starting point.

Mike:
  Thank you very much for your insight into why D hasn't been presented
in a "Newbie-Friendly" way to the world. It seems like you have a great
amount of knowledge about the D Community and an instinctive command of
the English language... I would certainly like to like to incorporate
any D tutorials that you might make into the project, if you're at all
interested =).