D Learning Resources

Pierre Rouleau prouleau at impathnetworks.com
Thu Nov 30 19:26:17 PST 2006

Morgan McDermott wrote:
>  I'm always startled by the overwhelming response from the NewsGroup :).
>
> Ary:
>  I've now received multiple comments stating how the Python Docs are
> fantastic, so I'm going to have to spend some time figuring out why and
> how they're so wonderful.

Might I suggest the following:

Python documentation:

- is updated along with each version of the language: the documentation
  is part of the release, just as Python is.

- is versionned: each version of Python has it's own set of
documentation, the old ones are still accessible.

- is centralized. Although you can find lots of tutorials and
explanations all over the web, you can find precice, concice description
of everything in the Python web site.

- Each document gets contribution from the entire Python community but
each document has an *editor*.  Fred L. Drake and AMK have been doing a
tremendous jobs (and they *are* programmers).

I agree with people that state that Python's documentation is great. In
fact the entire Python project is very well managed.  I also like the
concept of PEP (Python Enhacement Proposals) that are similar to RFCs.

I understand that D is still under development and I'm sure things will
continue to evolve for the best.