First Impressions

BCS BCS at pathlink.com
Mon Oct 2 09:19:13 PDT 2006

Anders F Björklund wrote:
[...]
> Then again, 5 character types is even worse than the 3 now.
>
> --anders

The more I think about it the worse this get.

What I really would like is  a system that allows O(1) operations on
strings (slice out char 7 to 27), allows somewhat compact encoding
(8bit) and allows safe operations on UTF (if I do something dumb, it
complains). All at the same time would be nice, but is not needed.

Come to think about it, a lib that will do good FAST convention between
buffers:

//note: "in" is intentional, it wont allocate anything
UTF8to16(in char[], in wchar[]);
UTF8to32(in char[], in dchar[]);
UTF16to32(in wchar[], in dchar[]);

would get most of what I want.

<sarcasm>
And while I'm at it, I'd like a million bucks please.
</sarcasm>