Could Tk be D's ideal widget set?

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Mon Oct 9 14:43:46 PDT 2006

Don Clugston wrote:
> I agree, although I'd phrase it differently. It's not about taking a
> long time to do it, it's about spending most of your time on the
> fundamentals. It seems to me that the D language has progressed by
> spending a lot of time getting the basics right. It's like building an
> 80-storey building -- for most of the construction time, it's just a
> really deep hole in the ground, and to onlookers it seems that nothing
> much is happening. Yet, once the foundations are in, the building can
> rise by 10 metres in a day. Look how quickly the D template system has
> developed. It was only possible because so much time was spent getting
> the basics right.
>
> I think that a GUI library should be similar.

I agree, too. D is a multiparadigm language, and that's important for
library development because appealing designs shouldn't be shut out
because they are impractical with D. For example, C++ can't do GUI
toolkits that are based on gc. C++ can't do toolkits based on signals
and slots (Trolltech had to write a C++ preprocessor to make that work).
Java can't do template metaprogramming based designs. C can't do OOP
based designs.

D can't do reflection based designs (at least for 1.0), but the rest
should be feasible.