Could Tk be D's ideal widget set?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Oct 11 17:26:16 PDT 2006

Don Clugston wrote:
> Josh Stern wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:52:49 +0200, Don Clugston wrote:
>>
> The thing that really drives me nuts is that there are *so many* GUI
> libraries for Windows and Linux, and they are all ultimately using the
> same hardware! I just think it's so ridiculous. If you look in the
> coding of any of those frameworks, you find that huge chunks of them are
> the same. And so I wonder if there is some intermediate level at which
> you can create widgets (or at least parts of them) that would work
> regardless of what GUI framework was ultimately used.

I think in some ways, that's the layer that SDL targets.

I think part of the reason there's not more reuse may just be
aesthetics.  You have to be really picky to decide you'd rather reinvent
the GUI wheel than use one of the dozen or so existing solutions, many
of which have tens of thousands of man-hours already invested in them.
So it's not surprising that the person who wants to write their own GUI
cares about every little detail right down to the low level.

--bb