Standard library

freeagle dalibor.free at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 13:42:46 PDT 2006

Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
> freeagle wrote:
>> Hello everyone.
>>
>> As I was looking though the www.dsource.org today, an idea occurred to
>> me if it would be worth to merge several projects (e.g. Phobos, Mango,
>> Ares, Concurrent, ...) into a one standard library. Somewhat in Java's
>> fashion. A lot of projects often recreate some parts of code. I think if
>> these would be merged together, we could avoid discussions such as
>> "Phobos or Ares" and build problems with libraries that uses one std
>> library and the user of the lib that use another.
>
> I think we're getting there little by little. It's just that managing
> big libraries slows the development process down. At the moment IMO it
> seems to be a better idea to have rapid development of libraries and the
> core language than building a "end user-friendly" framework.

I agree that core language needs the most attention now, but that is
being done by Walter. So the standard library project could be handled
by a joined majority of the D community. With a good design and
structure of the standard library, we could divide ourselves among
several parts and achieve the rapid development you speak about. Without
the inconsistencies and unnecessary code recreation.