Could Tk be D's ideal widget set?

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Sun Oct 15 02:23:40 PDT 2006

Jeff wrote:
> Before I reply, I should probably note that I didn't mean to come across
> as if I were claiming any authority or expertise on UI toolkits in
> general, so I'm sorry if I did; my comments were mostly just my personal
> opinion from my limited experience.

Happens to us all, so no problem. :-)

> By "really take advantage of D's features", I only meant that a faithful
> translation of an existing OO windowing toolkit wouldn't really have
> much room to play with D's features, since it would be expected to
> behave in an all but identical manner to the original (so why not just
> use the language in which it's already written?).

Well, as I see it, a windowing toolkit may eve be written entirely in
assembler, for example. But the only important things are:

  - it's about time we actually got one
  - leveraging existing work saves us from reinventing it all
  - how smoothly it can be _used_ from D

I don't think it's all that important that the toolkit itself is written
in D, other than a matter of pride. What we need is a toolkit that could
be used "right now", and that practically excludes doing it from
scratch. (Heck, by D 2.0 we might have one, but now's not the time.)

The most important thing now is to get something that has an easy to use
Programmer Interface. Only this would cause a lot of GUI programs in D
to be written, and thus lots more visibility for D in areas and with
people we're not reaching right now.