D : Not for me anymore

rm roel.mathys at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 02:41:19 PDT 2006

BLS wrote:
> ...Building a deep hole to create something great(Don).... Nice picture
> indeed.
>
> D is unique :
> Compared to Java/C#/Nemerle D is weak. (just have a look on the
> yield/iterator, reflection  discussions)
> (we will have it in D 2.0  ~2008,  just a calculation)
>

> D has an active community offering  a growing list of libraries ... :
> We are talking about wrappers respective dead projects and let's be
> generous 10+ new entries in the D newsgroups within 24h is not that
> much....
>
> D is quit popular :
> So you think that D is ~#15 on tiobe really means somethink ? *Show me
> some real world applications written in D*. Let's say only 10.
>
> But what makes me angry and keeps me away from using D from now on ,is
> that all suggestions regarding a *std.lib framework* build by the
> community are simply ignored by the Seniour D architect.
>
> That's it.
> Björn

to become a *really* popular language (as-is used in lot's of big
projects) a language has to have good libraries available.

D has really easy linkage to all C libraries, if I'm not mistaken.
That's good for a multi-language environment. But to position D against
(well not against against :-) ), D needs to come with batteries
included, or at least have some standard/best practices libraries
available (I doubt a formal standardization is needed). Those batteries
could be just wrappers around existing library in other languages. I
doubt whether this is a good choice, because of the dependencies on
other languages, build tools, ...

If other reasonings can/need be give, please do so ..

So back to libraries for D in D :-)
What could be the reasons the Senior Darch is *ignoring* this?
- he doesn't see a need for it (right now)
   => so it's low on his priority list
- he doesn't have the resources to coordinate such an effort
- he's planning to release D 1.0 before starting to think on libraries
   => are we talking about specifications for libraries
   => are we talking about a specific implementation (license?)
- building libraries when important features are still being added
   => that might be regrettable in the not to distant future
   => when do you start with "standard" libraries, when do you stop
evolving the language
- are we talking about minimal batteries, or full blown batteries?

OTOH, "Not for me anymore", I've been here a few years back, and I must
say that the current DMD/GDC compilers are quite impressive. In my eyes
they start to mature quite nicely.

En tout cas, merci to Walter, who is putting a lot of his personal
resources (time, energy, ...) in developing a real evolution in in the C
branch of programming languages.

roel