Could Tk be D's ideal widget set?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Oct 15 11:05:49 PDT 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:

> I don't think it's all that important that the toolkit itself is written
> in D, other than a matter of pride. What we need is a toolkit that could
> be used "right now", and that practically excludes doing it from
> scratch. (Heck, by D 2.0 we might have one, but now's not the time.)
>
> The most important thing now is to get something that has an easy to use
> Programmer Interface. Only this would cause a lot of GUI programs in D
> to be written, and thus lots more visibility for D in areas and with
> people we're not reaching right now.

Were there any takers on objectifying and templatizing a "D/Tk" ?

We have "C/Tk" now, and would like to have "C++/Tk" ported over...

http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/tkhelloworld.d ("C/Tk")
vs.
http://cpptk.sourceforge.net/examples/ex1.html ("C++/Tk")

I ported the C headers over, but I'm not very good with C++/Boost.

Tcl/Tk:
http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TclLib/contents.htm
http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TkLib/contents.htm

C++/Tk:
http://cpptk.sourceforge.net/doc.html
http://cpptk.cvs.sourceforge.net/cpptk/

This would be a good test: http://cpptk.sf.net/examples/ex6.html

--anders

PS. I think the wxWidgets toolkit has a simple API too.
     (At least it's ready to use, and has documentation)