D : Not for me anymore

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 13:42:58 PDT 2006

Shame on you, Walter.  You should know better than to think you
have that much influence. ;D

The momentum died for strictly different reasons (most notable
being the lack of contributors).  Your choice and timing just
happened to be off on the matter. Okay, I admit that there was one
other significant issue that was a personal annoyance: you failed
to contact or discuss /anything/ with the people considering the
ports of DWT (myself, Carlos ). You just announced the ports and
that we were doing them (even though you had no idea what are
personal feelings on the matter were or how serious we were about
it).  I recall being quite shocked at your announcement. I think
Carlos was too.

Regardless, we all know that GUI Frameworks are particularly
troublesome to endorse since the area is so subjective.  It's
probably a lost cause trying to support one over the other.  Best
to encourage any GUI that people are willing to develop for D
because I don't think any one framework will be acceptable as a
standard.

As for standard libraries, I think you should be ready to endorse
an organized effort that presents itself with these traits:

1. Is well documented
2. Meets the general approval of the community
3. Continues to be developed for multiple compilers in tandem (dmd
and gdc)
4. Is actively developed for multiple platforms (linux, win32, Mac
OS X)
5. Has a strategy layed out for future direction
6. Has a dedicated core group of developers that have shown
dedication to the D language.
7. Is maintained under a version control system

Such traits by far surpass what Phobos can offer.  From my
perspective, the act of endorsing such an effort hardly constitutes
a risk.

-JJR