D : Not for me anymore

Thomas Kühne thomas-dloop at kuehne.cn
Sun Oct 15 23:00:31 PDT 2006

John Reimer wrote:
> As for standard libraries, I think you should be ready to endorse
> an organized effort that presents itself with these traits:
>
> 1. Is well documented
> 2. Meets the general approval of the community
> 3. Continues to be developed for multiple compilers in tandem (dmd
> and gdc)
> 4. Is actively developed for multiple platforms (linux, win32, Mac
> OS X)
> 5. Has a strategy layed out for future direction
> 6. Has a dedicated core group of developers that have shown
> dedication to the D language.
> 7. Is maintained under a version control system
>
> Such traits by far surpass what Phobos can offer.  From my
> perspective, the act of endorsing such an effort hardly constitutes
> a risk.
>
> -JJR

I wouldn't't limit points 1 and 7 to Phobos. Hosting a publicly readable
vcs for DMD's frontent, so that everybody can see individual changes - not
only the changes lumped together for each new release - and compile the
frontend. This should result in cleaner code* and potentially more
contributors.

Thomas

* Extract the attached dmd_stub.zip, fill the dmd directory with the
current DMD sources and try to compile it...