D : Not for me anymore

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Oct 16 03:11:23 PDT 2006

Derek Parnell wrote:

>> I'm confused, wasn't this what the Ares project was all about ?
>
> My understanding is that Ares is a replacement for Phobos. An
> alternative  to Phobos.

Yeah, a community alternative to the Phobos library was what I thought.
But I don't really know, and it might have changed, so I won't guess...

I do know that it takes three parts to replace current phobos library:
- the DMD runtime library
- the DMD garbage collector
- the D standard library itself

I guess this would be mostly about Phobos-the-library (std), and a few
parts of Deimos (etc) could probably be integrated into Phobos as well ?

> Walter seems to be giving the explicit green-light to take the primary
> responsibility for doing all the coding to Phobos from himself. The way
> I  read it now is that Brad could set up a new DSource project called
> 'phobos', open it up for read-access for everyone, and svn-commit
> access  to 'registered developers', and a small group to be responsible
> for  creating downloadable library releases. The documentation could
> also be  DSource'd too if Walter doesn't mind submitting the DDOC files
> he  currently uses.

If we can't even get the GPhobos additions integrated with Phobos, then
I'm not so sure that Phobos will be opened up for community development.

I'm hoping that I'm wrong, though. I don't know what this new plan is ?

It *would* be very nice if e.g. the stderr errors and std.c.unix.unix
system module could make it into DMD and Phobos, from GDC and GPhobos.

--anders