D : Not for me anymore

Knud Sørensen 12tkvvb02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Oct 16 05:32:41 PDT 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:09:07 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

>> We have several authors on the list maybe we can get them
>> to donate a copy of one of there books for a first prize.
>
> I've thought about cash prizes and contests. I just had the nagging
> feeling that the result would be a circus rather than serious development.

Yes, part of it will be a circus, that one of the points of a contest.
To attract people and show how good D is performing.

Some libraries might not be serious developed,
but I think that the top libraries will be.

And a few good libraries might be worth all the circus.

If you look at history many excellent developments have been the
results of competitions:

The X price: we got a private developed spaceship.
Clay institute millennium problems: Several problems had had more progress
since the announcement that any other period in time.