D : Not for me anymore

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Mon Oct 16 13:21:44 PDT 2006

Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> Don Clugston wrote:
>
>> Georg Wrede wrote:

>>> IMHO, more important than having an official GUI library, would be to
>>> actually have _something_ right inside dmd.zip!
>>>
>>> It doesn't have to be the world and the kitchen sink, but anybody
>>> downloading dmd.zip should be able to write a GUI hello world simply
>>> and easily.
>>

>> At the very least, include the full set of Windows .lib files from the
>> latest SDK, so that at least it's possible to do SDK programming.
>

> Don't forget the implementation of WinMain that has to be copied in each
> win32 D project :(
>
> I wish dmd would include a higher-level entry point for win32 GUI apps.
> Perhaps just "int main(char[][])" but with a flag to make it a GUI app
> (like bud/build has, but actually including the GC init/deinit, etc).

For a compiler + lib distributor, it shouldn't be that hard to _decide_
that the novice user _should_ be able to write his First GUI Hello World
simply with something like:

import std.gui;

void GUImain()
{
     gui.Window w = new gui.DefaultAppWindow();
     gui.Text t = "Hello World";
     t.attach(w);
     w.pack();

     w.eventLoop();
}

And this would be the same on _all_ the supported platforms. Straight
outta shrink-wrap.