D : Not for me anymore

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 14:21:59 PDT 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:08:11 -0700, Georg Wrede <georg.wrede at nospam.org>
wrote:

> Dunno about others, but, IIRC, at the time it felt labourious to use,
> and non-portable. Thus, such an Official choice was, ehh, depressing.

SWT is portable... in a limited sort of way. :P  But all SWT ports to D
would be laborious since the internals are so different from each other;
each would require a specially crafted automation for each platform to
make it feasible (in light of future SWT versions and fixes coming out).
Proof of it's portability, though, appears best demonstrated by the
existance of a SWT framework for Pocket PC's.  As a GUI framework,
however, SWT seems comprehensive and powerful.  It's just not a
well-recognized or an easily learned solution.

> When I moved from VIC-20 to Kaypro-II, I had to switch from 6502
> assembler to either Z-80 assembler or 8080 assembler. (Both were used
> "interchangeably" on the Z-80 on the Kaypro. And I didn't want to use
> both.) In hindsight, I spent so much time dithering between the two,
> that merely a toss of a coin at the start would have made the end result
> much happier. The same thing happened with Basic. On the VIC, I only had
> [a primitive version of] Microsoft Basic, whereas on the Kaypro, I had 2
> versions of M$ interpreted Basic, a truly compiled basic ("C-basic"),
> and a (Java like) compiled but still interpreted Basic ("S-basic"). I
> couldn't make up my mind. (Today, I'd have used each of them for
> separate purposes. :-) ) The dithering didn't stop until a friend gave
> me a stolen copy of Turbo Pascal, v.2. (And yes, I've since repaid my
> debt to Borland several times beyond my legal obligations!)

Ah yes, those were the days. :)  My initial experience with computer
languages was with the C64.  There, I moved form BASIC to 6510 assembler
and then finally to C.

>>> I encourage, and have encouraged, anyone who wants to do this. Any or
>>> all parts of Phobos can be used as a starting point. The compiler is
>>> my  central focus, to enable great libraries to be written.
>
> In the last years I've heard people ask and ask about this all over
> again. It's almost like people wanted to be asking till they get a no
> for an answer.

Hmmm... good point!  We should have learned by now, no doubt.  :)

>> Thank you for stating that here.  It's very much appreciated, as is all
>> of  your work.  I know you've stated it in so many words before, but
>> sometimes  repitition seems to be the only way to get things across in
>> a newsgroup  where posts quickly get lost in the pile.
>
> By this time somebody simply ought to just go ahead and set up the
> repository.
> Like Nike: "just do it"!

Absolutely.  That's the only way to go.  Ares was a start.  I'm sure any
such effort is not in vain.

-JJR