D : Not for me anymore

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Mon Oct 16 15:06:26 PDT 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> I think a batteries-included distribution would be a great help.
> The current situation makes it more difficult than it needs to be to get
> going with D.
>
> A batteries-included version should include

<lots of good stuff deleted>

True.

Currently, the DMD zip seems to be geared towards people who already
have been with us for a long time. It looks as if it's taken for granted
that any essential libraries are already downloaded on your machine if
you want to do any other stuff than just CLI-essentials.

The batteries-included version should be the default. (And only then,
maybe, a bare-bones version also available, a la the current zip.)

---

Probably we all here are either too used to D as-is, or simply too savvy
or professional to ever notice how actually *huge* the difference
between bare-bones and batteries-included is for the expansion velocity
of D.

---

Times change. Most of even ourselves don't anymore go to the computer
store to find the box, to the next to buy the hard drive, the internet
for the monitor, and to a surplus store for the floppy drive.

No, we buy the whole thing ready-made. The $100 we could save with an
inordinate amount of work and running, simply isn't worth it anymore.

Today, those shopping for a new programming language don't want to do
that kind of legwork either!

-- Especially when the D community (as a whole, inlcuding DM) makes it
exceptionally hard for the newcomer to ever get a grasp of what is
available and what is outdated and where to start looking in the first
place.