D : Not for me anymore

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 16:57:06 PDT 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:40:32 -0700, Bill Baxter
<dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote:

> Knud Sørensen wrote:

>>> What I'm mindful of is I endorsed DWT as the official D gui library,
>>> which promptly killed it.
>>  What about the library contest I suggested long ago ?? Is that a
>> useful idea?
>> I did never get much feedback on that idea.
>> http://all-technology.com/eigenpolls/dwishlist/index.php?it=59
>>

> I worked at a small software company once where the marketing folks
> decided to have a big contest.  They advertised it software development
> magazines and everything.  Top prize was supposed to be like $10,000
> cash I think.  In the end, when the deadline came, we counted up all the
> submissions.  One... two.  That's it.  We got *two* submissions.
> Granted, they were pretty good, but I think in the end the marketing
> department decided to cancel the contest and gave the two entrants free
> copies of our software instead.  I was pretty embarrassed for the whole
> company.
>
> Anyway, this is just to say, my experience with big prize programming
> contests for niche software has not been good.  And no matter how cool
> it is, you have to admit D is still pretty niche.
>
> --bb

I think it's simple. While I don't see much purpose in prizes and contests
in specific area of D development (not at this point, at least),  I do
think it would be handy to setup donation accounts for developers similar
to what sourceforge.net does.  I can say I wouldn't mind contributing some
dollars to projects like bud (aka build) as a motivator.  And if there
were a standard library development happening, I'd have no inhibitions
there either.  Not everybody likes donating, but there are definitely D
projects out there that are proving there worth many times over.

-JJR