D : Not for me anymore

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Mon Oct 16 17:52:43 PDT 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:16:26 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:03:14 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> I'm happy to merge things in, but am reluctant to do so without
>>> reviewing the diffs line by line.
>>
>> Actually, when I wrote "take Phobos", I really meant "take Phobos". You
>> would no longer have *the* sole controlling vote on what goes in or goes
>> out of phobos, nor would you have sole control over when new libraries were
>> released for general consumptuion. They would in fact be released
>> asynchonously from DMD. There would be 'beta' versions around for trying
>> our stuff and official releases for people who just needed a standard
>> library. Are you willing to give up control of Phobos?
>
> Maybe after 1.0. I'm pretty reluctant to do so earlier.

That's what I thought. I didn't really think that you meant what you said
earlier ...

 Derek:
 >>] Are you saying that, for example, you would have no problems with
 >>] Phobos being taken from DigitalMars and moved to DSource so that
 >>] everyone who needed to could get to submit changes to the library
 >>] that would actually be applied.
 Walter:
 >] The license for the Phobos source code certainly allows that, and
 >] that's part of the point of having the license be that way. So no,
 >] I have no problem with that.

> That said, it still doesn't impede anyone else from working on Phobos.

What impedes me is you. The few times I have submitted a Phobos change to
you, you have dismissed them as not worthy of the effort. Those responses
just pissed me off and I can't be bothered trying too hard to work under
that regimen anymore. I'm just now waiting for Phobos to be freed up so my
workings can be judged against a wider body of opinion.

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)